Candidate Experience Lab: Redesigning Hootsuite's Application Response (#HootHROS)
You come across that amazing job, spend hour(s) getting your resume and application together, jump through whatever hoops the company puts in front of you, submit your application...and wait...and wait...and wait some more. This is the reality for most job seekers today.
Considering Candidate Experience (CX)
Candidate Experience (CX) had risen to the top tier of many company's talent priorities, and for good reason. The rise of Glassdoor and the ease of amplifying negative interview experiences shape your reputation as an employer.
This new reality is causing many talent teams to examine their processes for opportunities to enhance CX. Smart organizations are continually iterating on candidate experience; always looking for new ways to proactively inform, communication, follow-up, and refine their process.
Building A Better Way
One of our core values of Hootsuite is to "Build A Better Way". That's part of our organizational DNA and applies to all areas of the business. This means we're constantly refining and tweaking our HR and Recruiting processes, including CX.
We recently launched a new CX tool we wanted to share as part of our open-source HR initiative - #HootHROS. This template is an auto-response that all applicants get when applying for a job at Hootsuite. It's generated automatically from our ATS (iCIMS).
Behind The Redesign
We wanted to set that stage for applicants to have a better idea of what to expect when applying at Hootsuite by proactively addressing FAQ's about the process. You can view the full email below, but we wanted to share some of the thought that went into it.
- Visuals - Most recruiting emails are text-only. We wanted to add some life with a branded header.
- Interview Process - This was the key driver of the redesign. We wanted to remove some of the typical application mystery and bring transparency to things like applicant volume, review approach, interview process, and timeframe.
- Timing - Set expectations for when applicants will hear back.
- Personality & Tone - Add personality and warmth to to our applicant communications. Hashtags and GIF's may not be right for all companies, but they fit Hootsuite's culture and recruiting communication style.
- Culture & Connection - Culture is an important part of any organization's hiring and review process. We wanted to make it easy for applicants to connect with all of our social recruiting and culture channels.
- Access - We built and shared a Twitter list for our recruiting team in an effort to make our recruiting team more accessible and easier to engage. We also wanted to use this email as an opportunity to remind applicants of our bi-monthly #HootJobs recruiter chat.
You can check out the full application auto-response below. If you'd like to see one of these in your inbox, check out hootsuite.com/careers.
Subject: Thank You For Your Application
Hello NAME ,
Thank you for your interest in Hootsuite! We appreciate the time you took to apply to this role, and look forward to reviewing your application.
We know applying for a job can be exciting and, at times, nerve-racking. Particularly when you find your dream job, click apply, and wait, and wait some more. #ARGH
We’ve been there too, so we want to pull back the curtain to give you an idea what happens when you click that ‘submit’ button like you did a few minutes ago.
Hootsuite Application Process:
We typically receive 100+ applications per job opening. All of our applications are reviewed by humans, not robots (hooray humans!). These humans may be recruiters or members of the hiring team. We’re in hyper-growth right now, so this means our humans are working hard on lots of projects - including reviewing your application. This means…
We work hard to get back to applicants within 2-3 weeks. Generally we’re pretty good at this, but sometimes it can run a bit longer.
Check Your Status, Anytime
We try to keep the process as open and transparent as possible. At any time, you can log into the Application Portal to check your review status. If you do not know your password, you can reset it here.
We’re fortunate to have a lot of talented individuals who want to join #HootsuiteLife. This means we’re only able to follow-up with applicants who closely match the requirements for each job. If you don’t get selected to move forward for this role, it doesn’t mean you’re not awesome, it just means your particular awesome doesn’t line up as well with the job as other applicant’s awesome.
The first stage of interview process is a phone or video screen with a member of the hiring team (recruiter or team member). We typically conduct 1-2 screens, followed by 1-2 on-site interviews depending on the role and team. The full interview cycle can run anywhere from several weeks to several months depending on the role, but we aim for weeks whenever possible. Once an offer has been accepted, we close the position and notify all applicants.
Ways You Can Learn More About #HootsuiteLife:
While you’re waiting to hear back on your application, we encourage you to get to know us better through some of the following channels.
- Hootsuite Culture Manifesto
- Twitter: @HootsuiteLife
- LinkedIn: Hootsuite
- SoundCloud: HootsuiteLife Story-Telling Lab
- Flickr: #HootsuiteLife
- Hootsuite Recruiter List on Twitter
- Want to learn more about working at Hootsuite? Join the #HootJobs Recruiter chat every other Weds from 12-1pm PDT for a live Twitter Chat with our recruiting and hiring teams.
Thanks again for your interest in Hootsuite!
The Hootsuite Talent Acquisition Team