What a year. As I reflect on 2012, there are so many things I learned and experienced. Here are some of the highlights.
- Generosity is alive and well in the HR community. If you follow the basic social media (and karma) tenants of ‘give before you receive’, your network will be a constant source of knowledge, advice, and inspiration.
- Social Media is a tool, not a strategy. It can enhance your recruiting efforts in many ways; but be sure to have an objective, measure it, and adjust as needed. If you want to champion social recruiting/branding strategies within your organization, you need to articulate the ‘why’ as much as the ‘how’.
- There is value in failure. It may be hard to see it at the time, but every lesson in life shapes you.
- It’s important to find ways to get out of your comfort zone.
- Employment Branding keys – employee-centric content, authentic, frequent, minimize friction.
- I have much to learn as a blogger/writer. There are so many talented bloggers out there who are really gifted writers. They serve as a constant reminder of what really tight writing can be, and a source of inspiration and motivation for me to be better.
- Disappointment will happen in your personal and professional life. Holding onto the angst is toxic, and will sabotage future plans. Move on to move forward.
What’s in store for 2013?
- Social Media: Look for some very cool collaborations with social media titans aimed at helping job seekers incorporate social media into their job search. More shall be revealed 1/7 (blatant foreshadowing).
- Conferences: I’m fortunate to have the opportunity to speak at conferences and share some of the things I’m learning. You can check out the full list of where I’ll be in 2013 here.
- Mobile: Incorporating mobile into your talent strategies is no longer a luxury, it’s a necessity. We’re going to redesign the NPR career site into a responsive layout, with a cleaner interface early in the new year. This is a project I’ve been itching to do since I arrived at two years ago.
- Learning: I want to learn more about mobile, recruiting metric dashboards, agile development methodology (used by our digital/dev teams), blogging, global talent trends – and maybe finally get around to learning how to speak German in 2013.
- New Digs: NPR moves into our new HQ in April. As an HR practitioner, I’m really looking forward to seeing how this impacts culture, collaboration, etc.
- Work-Life Blend: work-life balance and traditional 9-5 schedules aren’t applicable to most of us in today’s world of work. 2013 will be about finding a healthier blend; unplugging more often, reading more books, and taking more moments to stop and smell the roses. As Ferris Bueller once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and take a look around once in a while, you could miss it”.
And of course, I’m grateful for all the readers and supporters of Amplify Talent.
I hope your 2013 is filled with learning, experience, growth, success, and laughter. Seize it my friends!